Looking for ways to stay connected with friends and family and keep dreaming about future travel plans? Get our tips on how to host an online party, including a few themes for your virtual party.
Pick where to host it
For an online party, we like Zoom—it’s easy to use, anyone can sign up, and it has fun features (like custom backgrounds!) that can add a lot of pizazz to your party. Groups over 5 will have a limit of 40 minutes, but smaller parties get unlimited hangout time. You can also use Google Hangouts for up to 25 people, or group FaceTime for smaller virtual parties.
If you’re watching a movie together, download Netflix Party, an extension for Google Chrome that lets you sync up with friends for a long-distance movie night.
Choose a theme
Whether it’s looking back on a trip you took together or a (pretend) night in Paris, pick a theme for the evening so your guests know what to expect.
Here are some virtual party ideas to get you started:
A Night in Paris
- BYO wine and cheese for a perfect pairing
- Pick a très chic Parisian-themed Zoom background
- Draw the Louvre! Recreate famous art with doodles and vote for the best new versions
All Things Italy
- Make your favorite pasta or mix up an Aperol Spritz
- Listen to Italian opera or a playlist of classic tunes
- Dress like an Italian destination! Think: Sunglasses and a hat for the Riviera (or maybe even a toga for Rome?)
Send an E-vite
Make your online party official with an invitation! Paperless Post and Punchbowl both have options for creating customized e-vites for your party, so your event can still feel special—even if it’s happening at home.
The most important thing? Sharing some laughs with loved ones. “My friends and I have even agreed to 'walk' together, so we chatted and got outside the house for a bit,” said our staffer Amanda. “It’s so nice to stay connected.”
Have you hosted a virtual party? Tell us about it on Facebook!