Eco-friendly tips and tricks to minimize your footprint
Apr 21, 2014 by The Go Ahead Tours Team
At EF, we’re committed to improving the sustainability of our travel programs by embracing eco-friendly practices, supporting local conservation efforts, reducing and recycling waste, and minimizing our carbon footprint. Everyday choices like reducing and recycling waste add up to make a difference, and we can all strive to make small changes.
Do your part to protect the planet with our eco-friendly tips you can use while you’re traveling and at home, too.
Tips for eco-friendly travel
- Unplug your appliances when you leave home. (Did you know that many of them still use electricity even when they’re turned off?)
- Carry a reusable water bottle and refill it instead of buying bottled water.
- Consider using a water filter if tap water isn’t drinkable in your destination.
- Reduce waste by avoiding single-use plastics as much as possible.
- Recycle, recycle, recycle. Go digital when you can, and recycle any necessary paper documents. Can’t find any recycling options while out and about on tour? Bring recyclables back to your hotel!
- Take public transportation, especially trains and rideshares, when traveling on your own. Better yet—walk if you can.
- Reuse hotel towels and turn the lights off when you leave your room.
- Pack your own toiletries and grooming products.
- Refill your travel-size containers instead of buying new ones each trip.
- Bring your own headphones to use with your whisper headset and on the plane.
- Snap a picture of shells, flowers, or coral in their natural environment rather than removing them.
- Choose locally-produced goods and meals to support the local economy and reduce the pollution required to import them.
What other tips and tricks do you have for going green? Share your eco-friendly travel tips with us on our Facebook page!
About the author | The Go Ahead Tours Team
We’re a team of passionate travel experts, dedicated to helping people explore the world. From inspiring stories to tips for an amazing trip, the topics we cover are all about getting you out there and making discoveries.